Pros And Cons Of Battery Powered Lawn Mowers
Last Updated on April 10, 2021
Cordless lawn mowers are operated with the help of batteries. They are also known as cordless electric mowers and possess such batteries that are rechargeable. Here you can know the pros and cons of battery-powered lawnmowers.
However, you must be aware of the number of batteries that must be used before purchasing a cordless lawn mower because its operation and functioning depend on this feature.
Even though the best cordless lawn mowers can prove to be quite expensive, they are cost-effective in the sense that cost is reduced over some time when compared to gas lawn mowers that require the individual to buy gas almost every other day.
Pros And Cons Of Cordless Lawnmower
A battery-powered lawnmower uses a battery as a means of power. You need to charge its battery for a specified period, and this stored energy will make the machine work as long as the battery has stored energy.
It is easy to start with just a touch of the button and does not require routine maintenance, replacement of filters, the addition of fuel, just like a petrol mower. Besides, the size of your lawn will determine whether you should go for a single or dual-battery type.
Expectedly, a dual-battery type will provide more power as well as runtime, hence, it is ideal for a larger lawn. Also, you can manoeuvre freely without any cord obstruction as witnessed with corded lawnmowers.
What Types of Lawns Can You Mow with a Battery-powered Lawnmower?
Ideally, you can use a battery-powered lawnmower on all types of lawns. However, if you are dealing with a thicker lawn, you will need to consider extra power so as to get the best result. You can go for a machine with a double battery so that you will be able to get enhanced power.
Pros And Cons of Battery Lawn Mower
Choosing the right type of lawnmower for your garden care is a bit tasking because there are many types available. If you are planning to buy a battery-powered mower, here are the advantages and disadvantages of owning one.
# The Pros
Check out the top reasons that can prompt you to get a battery-powered mower.
1. It is Cordless: You don’t need to worry about a cord restricting your movement during operations. There is absolute freedom to move in any direction and freely so that you will be able to cover every part of your lawn with ease.
2. It is Lightweight & Easy To Manoeuvre: Since it does not come with a big engine like its petrol counterpart, you won’t have issues with its manoeuvre. Also, you don’t need to fuel it, which usually adds to the weight of a machine.
3. It Comes With Adjustable Power/Mowing Height Settings: Majority of battery-powered lawnmowers have cutting height and power settings that you can easily adjust. You can choose among low, medium and high power settings so that you won’t have issues getting the most satisfactory outcome.
A higher power setting will consume more battery power but it is ideal for tackling thick areas in your garden. Also, you can adjust the cutting height in line with the type of lawn you are dealing with.
4. It is Affordable: It is the most affordable when compared to other types of lawnmowers. It is cheaper than gas or corded mower but perfect for a small lawn.
5. It is Eco-Friendly & Efficient: It does not emit fumes, toxins and harmful chemicals into the environment. That is why it is probably the best option for you if you care about the environment. For a ‘green’ person, you are not causing any harm during the process of lawn mowing.
6. Requires Less Maintenance: Since it does not come with many parts as well as attachments, you don’t need to worry about too much maintenance. There is no air or oil filter to change, and you don’t need to worry about buying fuel or fixing leaks. There is no cord to rip, hence, your maintenance cost will not skyrocket.
7. Quiet Operations: With a cordless lawnmower, you will enjoy quiet operations at all times. You won’t have to disturb your household and neighbours when mowing your lawn.
8. Ease of Storage: It is foldable so that you can store it with ease. If you are limited on space, it is probably the best option to go for.
Cordless lawn mowers are usually recommended for those who own large gardens and do not have extra time on their hands. The cutting height of the machine can be adjusted according to the length of the grass you wish to cut.
The major benefit of using the best cordless lawn mowers is the reduction of excessive noise and smells. The mess is also reduced. Those who use electric mowers with cables tend to experience difficulties as this cord comes in the way and can also cause injuries due to the same reason.
Using a cordless lawn mower can be done in two ways. It can either be used as a regular lawnmower, and a clipping bag be attached to it, or it can also be used for mulching due to the presence of a mulching plate. The machine comes equipped with such attachments. Therefore, the high price is understood as these parts are not cheap. However, they can prove to be quite effective in the long run and must be tried out.
It has been said that is cordless lawn mower works as well as, if not better, than a gas lawnmower.
One must purchase a cordless lawn mower only if:
- Your lawn is not too large and is flat
- You have the time and the resources to mow regularly
- You have the time to charge the battery
- As the cordless lawnmower comes equipped with a mulching plate, leaf removal is made easy.
Benefits of A Cordless Lawnmower
- Cutting grass and leaf removal can be carried out with the help of a single machine
- As no cords are present, mess, as well as injuries, are reduced.
- Unpleasant smell due to the emission of gas is also removed.
- As cordless lawn mowers are quiet; noise pollution is reduced. Also, as gas is not used, air pollution is reduced.
# The Cons
Here are the cons of a battery-powered mower.
1. You Can Use It On A Small Lawn: Due to limitations in battery runtime, you may not be able to use it to mow a very big lawn. It may lead to frequent stoppage to recharge the battery, especially if the battery capacity is low.
2. Hills & Obstructions Will Present Challenge: Hilly lawns and those with obstructions can be challenging for a cordless mower. You will use up more energy going up the hill, and this will affect battery performance.
3. You Can’t Mow All Grass Types: Using this type of mower on a thick lawn is a tall order. You can consider other options if you really want to get the best outcome.
4. The battery of cordless lawnmowers have to be charged between mowing
As the ozone layer is in danger, more and more people are switching to cordless lawnmowers. Also, as the mess, as well as unpleasant smells, are reduced, when compared to gas lawn mowers, people are turning towards cordless lawnmowers.
However, as the battery loses charge quite quickly, it is not recommended for those who own large lawns as they will have to charge the battery repeatedly during mowings. On average, the batteries of cordless lawn mowers must be charged every 1 hour. However, it has been noticed that a large number of batteries must be charged every ½ hour. This is considered to be a major disadvantage.
Even though larger batteries can be bought to get rid of this problem, such batteries are expensive, and due to their excess weight, it is not recommended that they are used on non-commercial lawnmowers. Therefore, the size, as well as the tonnage of the battery, must be kept in mind before buying a battery, and both these factors must be kept at a minimum.
A battery-powered mower is not ideal for all types of lawn. Hence, you need to be sure that it is ideal for your garden so that achieving your goals will be a piece of cake.
You Can Also Check